Charity of the Week
February 23rd - March 8th, 2018
Feeding Area Children Together (FACT) is dedicated to reducing childhood hunger in central Minnesota thru their weekend food program, FACT Packs.
FACT Packs are a convenient way to send food home with children experiencing hunger. The foods are pre-portioned, easy to prepare and meet nutritional requirements for growing children. FACT Packs are one gallon zipper bags that contain a child-friendly, non-perishable breakfast, lunch and snack for each day school is not in session.
This is important because:
• 1 in 5 Central Minnesota children live in poverty
• 34% of families who experience hunger are not eligible for federal nutrition programs
• Over 90% of children at three area elementary schools live below 184% of the federal poverty level which qualifies them for free and reduced priced lunch (FRPL). A family of 4 qualifies for free school lunches if their annual income is $31,990 or less.
• Up to 60% of students who receive FRPL at these schools receive their only meals of the day at school
• The 2017-2018 school calendar has 102 days that students are not in school (weekends & breaks)
• The number of K-5 students in our district receiving FRPL has increased at 3x the rate of enrollment during the last 5 years.